Cambrian is a neighborhood in west San Jose, CA. Although Cambrian lacks the upscale downtown of some of the other neighborhoods in Silicon Valley, it is a great option for people who are looking for great schools and affordability within Santa Clara County.
History of Cambrian:
More than 133 years ago, David Lewis of the Lewis Casey Ranch named the first Cambrian School in honor of his homeland of Wales (Cambria is the old Latin name for Wales.) Since Lewis’ time, Cambrian has become the name of the entire area, despite some confusing overlap in districts. The area was originally used by the Mission Santa Clara as grazing land for their cows and sheep, until it was parceled off to form individual farms in the mid- 1800s – with wheat as the main crop. Grains remained the staple of the Cambrian area until the 1920s, when orchards began to thrive in the area. The orchards and associated industries provided much of the economic growth and population expansion for the area. Eventually, the electronics industry took root in Silicon Valley, and the area became more developed.
Approximately 64,000 in Cambrian Park
Campbell, Los Gatos, Almaden Valley, Blossom Valley, Willow Glen
All schools in both elementary school districts are California Distinguished Schools, with API scores above 800. Leigh High School and Branham High School are also California Distinguished Schools. Recently, it was announced that Harker School would open their first preschool in the Cambrian Park area.
Check out this link to see the best schools in Cambrian Park.
Amenities: Shopping, restaurants, Farmer’s Market, hospital, recreational areas, and community centers, libraries
- Hospitals/medical centers near Cambrian Park: Good Samaritan Hospital | O’Connor Hospital | Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- 2 Amtrak stations within 10 miles of Cambrian Park
- Libraries: Cambrian Branch Library & Vineland Branch Library
- Camden Community Center
- Cambrian Farmer’s Market: May – September. Wednesdays from 4pm-8pm at the Cambrian Park Plaza Shopping Center
- Average Commute Time: 29 minutes
- Median Age: 36
- Median Household Income: $77,400
- Married: 58%
- Have Kids: 35%
- Average Temperature: ranges from 50s in winter to 70s in summer
- Average Rainfall: 4-5 in. in winter, 0 in. in summer
- Demographics: Many residents are high-income couples with jobs in finance, medical, or technical fields. High level of education. 69% Caucasian, 16.8% Hispanic.